Get Ready for the winter!
- Use caulk or weather stripping to seal up any air leaks from window frames, baseboards, electrical outlet and switch plates, wall- or window-mounted air conditioners, and other openings, such as pipes and wiring coming through ceilings, floors, and walls.
- Install storm windows and exterior doors. For older windows, use a plastic window kit to cut drafts and seal in heat.
- When purchasing new windows and doors, look for the ENERGY STAR label.
- Make sure your ceilings and walls are properly insulated. Learn more about insulating your home at www.eere.energy.gov and www.ornl.gov.
- Health permitting, set your thermostat to 68 degrees during the day and 60 degrees at night and when no one is home. Each degree over 68 can increase by three percent the amount of energy you use for heating.